Top Menu

Work Permits

HMBHS Work Permit Requirements

The following are required for the issuance of a Work Permit from HMBHS

  1. Student must complete form CDE B1-1: Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit - Certificate of Age and return to the HMBHS Work Permit Coordinator (Ms. Sonja Krieger in the main office). This form is available from the Work Permit Coordinator and at
  2. Student must meet the following requirements:
    • Student must have a GPA of 2.0 with no 'F' grades
    • Attendance - 92% at minimum
    • Behavior - no major offenses
  3. It is the student's responsibility to check on the status of the permit request and to pick up copies. The Work Permit Coordinator will issue or deny the permit within 3 school days of the request.
  4. HMBHS may revoke the Work Permit at any time if the above requirements are not maintained. If revoked, the employer will be notified by phone and the student will be notified by staff.
  5. Work Permits are valid until 5 days into the start of the following school year - it is the student's responsibility to reinitiate each year.

Student Responsibilities for maintaining a Work Permit

  1. Maintain a GPA of 2.0, with no F grades in any class.
  2. Maintain attendance at 92% or better.
  3. Maintain an appropriate discipline record at school and work.
  4. Understand that grades and attendance will be monitored throughout the year. If the student does not meet requirements, his/her work permit will be revoked.
  5. Agree that school is the priority over work.
  6. Any student denied a work permit must wait until next grading period to re-apply.

Important Labor laws Relating to Minors

  1. Every minor must have a valid Work Permit.
  2. All employers must provide Worker's Compensation Insurance even for relatives and/or children of the employer.
  3. Minors may not drive a motor vehicle as part of their job duties.
  4. Minors may not begin work before 5:00 a.m. or work after 10:00 p.m. on a day preceding a school day.
  5. A minor may not work more than 8 hours per day under any circumstances.
  6. Violators of Labor Laws are subjected to intervention by the Labor Commission and a possible heavy fine.

Frequently Asked Questions about Work Permits

  1. How many hours a week can I work with a Work Permit?

    Hours of Work

    Ages 16 & 17

    Ages 14 & 15

    Ages 12 & 13

    Must have completed 7th grade to work while school in session.

    (EC 49112)

    Must have completed 7th grade to work while school in session

    (EC 49112)

    Labor laws generally prohibit non-farm employment of children younger than 14. Special rules apply to agricultural work, domestic work, and the entertainment industry. (LC 1285-1312)

    School in Session

    4 hours per day on any school day

    [EC 49112; 49116; LC 1391]

    3 hours per school day outside of school hours

    [EC 49112, 49116; LC 1391]

    Only during school holidays, and vacations and weekends. May not work on any school day, either before or after school. [EC 49111]

    8 hours on any non-school day or on any day preceding a non-school day. [EC 49112; 49116; LC 1391]

    48 hours per week [LC 1391]

    8 hours on any non-school day

    18 hours per week

    [EC 49116; LC 1391]

    Daily and weekly work hour maximums while school is in session are not specified in statute, but may not exceed the maximum allowed when school is not in session or the maximum stated on permit. [EC 49111; LC 1391, 1392]

    School Not in Session

    8 hours per day [LC 1391, 1392]

    48 hours per week [LC 1391]

    8 hours per day [LC 1391, 1392]

    40 hours per week [LC 1391]

    8 hours per day [LC 1391, 1392]

    40 hours per week [LC 1391]

    Spread of Hours

    5 a.m. - 10 p.m. However, until 12:30 a.m. on any evening preceding a non school day [LC 1391]

    Messengers: 6 a.m. - 9 p.m.

    7 a.m. - 7 p.m., except that from June 1 through Labor Day, until 9 p.m.

    [LC 1391]

    7 a.m. - 7 p.m., except that from June 1 through Labor Day, until 9 p.m.

    [LC 1391]

Minors under the age of 18 may not work in environments declared hazardous or dangerous for young workers as listed below:

  • Explosive exposure
  • Motor vehicle driving/outside helper
  • Coal mining
  • Logging and saw milling
  • Power-driven woodworking machines
  • Radiation exposure
  • Power-driven hoists/forklifts
  • Power-driven metal forming, punching, and shearing machines
  • Other mining
  • Power-driven meat slicing/processing machines
  • Power-baking machines
  • Power-driven paper products/paper bailing machines
  • Manufacturing brick, tile products
  • Power saws and shears
  • Wrecking, demolition
  • Roofing
  • Excavation operation

If you have any questions about Work Permits, please contact the Work Permit Coordinator. For more information about child labor laws, contact the U.S. Department of Labor at, and the State of California Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement at